[Haskell-community] Haskell Platform as the default recommendation considered harmful

Christopher Allen cma at bitemyapp.com
Mon Sep 21 16:29:12 UTC 2015

>I'm wondering if all this comes down to the time horizon. If a new HP is
out
with Stack in a few months, do you believe it's worth editing the downloads
page now? Or are you asking for it to happen now because you'd rather
something happen, than risk a delay where nothing happens?

Edit it now because the people who come to the site to learn how they
should install Haskell over the next few months matter. It should take a
couple minutes to make the change, I'd say edit it now to recommend the
existing Minimal GHC installation procedures that were in place. We can use
the previous versions as a baseline.

>Or are you asking for it to happen now because you'd rather something
happen, than risk a delay where nothing happens?

If Platform doesn't get fixed, that's on Platform. It's also a separate
problem. The downloads page should reflect the current, best understanding
of what's the most problem-free way for people, especially beginners who
can't evaluate or compare alternatives, to install GHC and the associated
kit. That has not been Platform for some time now. Is there a problem with
changing the downloads page now and changing it again months from now after
the alternative you're anticipating has been tested?

Is there anything blocking this? Do you need me to write the PR?

--
Chris Allen
Currently working on http://haskellbook.com