[Haskell-cafe] [Call for Participation]: Haskell Certification Program

Noon van der Silk noonsilk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 11:25:25 UTC 2024

> It's a minimal foundation that employers can assume so they don't have
> to check that themselves, they can concentrate on other aspects, and
> it's a known stable foundation, minimal as it may be.

But I think this is the precise problem with it being supported by the HF.

I don't think it's a minimal foundation at all (almost regardless of it's
content).

I think we've learned by now
<https://sordina.net/blog/2016/03/26/1458976158-Aesthetic-Isomorphism_and_Hiring_Juniors.html>,
as a broad programming community, that there's a classical logical fallacy
here - (some) "good" programmers can do well on these exams, but that
*doesn't* mean you *must* complete this well in order to be a "good"
programmer. There's many issues here among them that "good programmer" is
only defined respect to organisational context anyway.

I think it's completely fine and reasonable for a private company
(Serokell) to be offering this certification, especially one such as them
that has real experience in the Haskell ecosystem and plenty of people
contributing; but I think what would be a very bad situation is that if the
HF itself, and the broad Haskell (hiring) ecosystem got the idea that this
was something all candidates should seek achieve. The fact that the HF is
explicitly supporting it, is, for me, a disappointing outcome from a body
that, I had hoped would try and stay (somewhat) independent. Hence asking
for a clarification on any potential conflict of interest here.

--
Noon

On Tue, 25 Jun 2024 at 12:04, <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:

> On 25.06.24 08:01, Noon van der Silk wrote:
> > I would also suggest it's fairly bold to claim that this is in any way
> > "objective" insofar as no exams are "objective", they merely test the
> > subjective interests, experiences, and skills of the setters, and,
> > crucially, an ability to succeed in exam conditions, which *many* people
> > struggle with, for an extremely large variety of reasons. Your Haskell
> > may be very different from my Haskell.
>
> Still, it's objective in the sense that anybody who comes with a
> certificate has successfully memorized the information in the course.
>
> It's also proof that the candidate had enough interest in Haskell to
> invest significant time for obtaining a certificate.
>
> It's a minimal foundation that employers can assume so they don't have
> to check that themselves, they can concentrate on other aspects, and
> it's a known stable foundation, minimal as it may be.
>
> Nothing of that is a full picture of a candidate's developer
> personality, but nothing is anyway.
>
> HTH
> Jo

Noon van der Silk