[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Usage

Jo Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Nov 15 21:55:38 UTC 2023

On 15.11.23 21:24, Adrian Cochrane wrote:
> But given the dominance of C/C++, does that count for much?

Actually, a language tends to dominate some niches and be totally absent
in others.
I.e. if you do servers, you'd likely find it dominated by Java (or maybe
C++, I'm biased), and some Python; if you do embedded scripting in
applications, you'd likely find yourself doing Lua (but it's a really
small niche), in scientific computing, Python is dominant, etc.

So the real question would be: Is there a niche that you gravitate
towards, and what language(s) are they using there?
Note that it's hard to predict what niche will work best.

E.g. I would have never expected to end in backend servers for the most
boring topics imaginable (company stuff), and find that I'm more of a
process organizer than programmer at heart and find it fun and rewarding
making things interact smoothly, be it server-to-server,
server-to-frontend, frontend-to-human, or even human-to-human.
I would have laughted anybody out of the door if that had been predicted
to me when I was studying, and even when I was 30 and didn't (yet) know
what would catch on for me.

I'm well aware that this is a kind of anti-answer to your question, but
it seems life does not always give you answers before forcing a choice
on you - on the positive side: Don't worry too much about the choices
that you make, just make the best of whatever cards life deals to you.

Regards,
Jo