[Haskell-cafe] Contributing packages?

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Thu May 4 06:23:17 UTC 2023

On Thu, 4 May 2023, Dominick Samperi wrote:

> I just tried to upload a new Haskell package and ran into some
> difficulties. If I just try to upload, it fails and says I need to
> contact somebody in the trustees group to be added to the Uploaders
> group.
>
> If I try to upload a package candidate instead, it says Forbidden, No
> access for this resource.

You need a Hackage account for both candidate upload and final release.

> Also, I have a Hackage account and I can get to the account management
> page, and generate an auth key, but I don't know what I can do with
> that.

It's a long time ago that I registered my account, but maybe your account
must be added to a special group, the group Uploaders.

I do not need an auth key for uploading, just user name and password. I
use 'cabal upload' for Hackage releases.

> It seems the package candidate feature is the way to go, since
> direct uploads are irreversible and more difficult to manage.

right

You can watch and check the appearance of your package candidate at
Hackage before publishing. You can even use the uploaded candidate
temporarily in your project by adding its tarball URL to
cabal.project.local or stack.yaml.