[Haskell-cafe] Status of ghcup?

Bryan Richter bryan at haskell.foundation
Thu Feb 23 08:32:43 UTC 2023

Au contraire! GHCUp is the state of the art of installing GHC on any
platform. If anyone has trouble with GHCUp, that's a problem for all of us.
Besides, GHCUp merely uses the GHC bindists under the hood, so if GHCUp
doesn't work because of msys shenanigans, I expect similar pain for GHC
itself. Evidence to the contrary would be quite interesting!

These days, newcomers absolutely deserve to have a single tool manage their
toolchain, and I shudder to think of the mess new programmers will get in
by randomly `make install`ing stuff into standard directories, when they
have no concept of "standard directories" in the first place.

I'm also curious about repl.it and similar solutions.

Anyway, to get back to the original question, please do open issues on
https://github.com/haskell/ghcup-hs/issues when problems arise. Haskell
needs more people with Windows experience to get involved, even just as
reporters.