[Haskell-cafe] recommend book for self-study group

amin saffari amin.saffari at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 18:13:46 UTC 2022

I did run a self study group in Berlin and I highly recommend the 1st 19
chapters of the "Haskell programming from first principles" to start from
the ground. After that it's more beneficial to continue with a more
project-based approach to connect the dots with hands-on code. For
the second part, although I just read the sample part of "The Simple
Haskell Handbook", it seems fairly practical.

Cheers,

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 9:11 PM Amy de Buitléir <amy at nualeargais.ie> wrote:

> I want to encourage more people at my company to learn Haskell, but I just
> don't have time to prepare and deliver a class. But then it occurred to me
> I could lead a self-study group, where people learn on their own but would
> have a forum to discuss what they're learning and ask questions. I would
> encourage people to answer each other's questions, but I would answer the
> more difficult questions.
>
> What book(s) do you think would be best suited for self-study? The
> participants would all be experienced programmers, but would likely have no
> knowledge of functional programming?

Amin