[Haskell-cafe] How can I get a list of all English words?

Norman Nunley nnunley at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 16:51:49 UTC 2022

It reads like you want to verify that a given word in a string exists in a
list of (english) words.

https://github.com/dwyl/english-words seems to contain a large user
contributed list of english words (~450k). It seems to contain a number of
loan words as well as potentially made up words, so caveat emptor.

As far as testing for membership - I'd suggest building up a Data.Trie.Set (
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/trie-simple-0.4.1.1/docs/Data-Trie-Set.html).
The trie data structure provides a reasonably compact representation of
strings, and Sets provide a function to test if a given word is a member.