[Haskell-cafe] How can I get a list of all English words?

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Sun Feb 6 16:49:43 UTC 2022

> On 6 Feb 2022, at 11:24 am, Amber Crawford <aidancrawfordd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm creating a project in which I need a list of every English word, so I'm wondering how I would get this. The only thing I need is that I can filter the words based on some boolean function, thanks. btw I'm pretty beginner so sry If i'm not really good at writing these.

There is no single definitive list, but many Unix-like systems
(including MacOS) have various word lists in /usr/share/dict/:

Linux:
   $ ls /usr/share/dict/
   linux.words  words

MacOS:

   $ ls /usr/share/dict/
   README          connectives     propernames     web2            web2a           words

FreeBSD:

   $ ls /usr/share/dict/
   README          freebsd         propernames     web2            web2a           words

--
	Viktor.