[Haskell-cafe] current status of cloud haskell?

A.M. agentm at themactionfaction.com
Thu Feb 3 20:49:00 UTC 2022

On 2/3/22 12:32, stuebinm via Haskell-Cafe wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I've been meaning to do more with concurrent (and parallel) haskell, and
> having looked around a bit on hackage (and being a fan of Erlang's OTP)
> the cloud haskell packages seem like a dream come true. But only at
> first glance — the last release of distributed-process [1], which looks
> to be the main library, was in 2018, and many of the other packages are
> older. The "recent news" section of the website [2] even has its last
> entry from 2016!
>
> So I'd be assuming that the project has been abandoned, yet on github
> [3] it looks to still be (comparatively) alive and well, with activity
> just a few months ago.
>
> So what's the current status there? Is anyone here using it
> productively, or involved in its development / knows if or when to
> expect a new release?

Hi stuebinm,

We were using distributed-process within our own project until it was
too much effort to keep up with newer GHC releases and packages.

We were able to replace distributed-process and friends with our own
much more lightweight curryer-rpc library[1] for the simple use-case of
TCP client-server interaction.

1. https://hackage.haskell.org/package/curryer-rpc