[Haskell-cafe] RFC: removing “alternative installation methods” from haskell.org (or finding them owners)

Artem Pelenitsyn a.pelenitsyn at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 02:58:23 UTC 2022

As was mentioned on a GitHub thread related to this topi, Rust has a great
example of how to do it,
I encourage everyone to take a look:
https://www.rust-lang.org/tools/install
i.e. Alternative methods are mentioned at the bottom as a link to some sort
of broader language manual.
The main website shouldn't be a wiki page for "known methods", it should be
a safest trampoline into the
language for newcomers. In the same line, saying that moving away this list
from this website deprives
current users of these methods is nonsense: if you use a method and it
works for you — great! Nothing
will change for you when (if) the Downloads page changes. A method that you
are most used to has
nothing to do with how we must present a gate to the language to newcomers,
who are the primer clients
of this page.

--
Cheers, Artem