[Haskell-cafe] RFC: removing “alternative installation methods” from haskell.org (or finding them owners)

Ivan Perez ivanperezdominguez at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 18:58:03 UTC 2022

On Sun, 3 Apr 2022 at 14:48, Tom Ellis <
tom-lists-haskell-cafe-2017 at jaguarpaw.co.uk> wrote:

> Yet, their work has not been (recently) confirmed working by those
> responsible for maintaining www.haskell.org, nor do we have the
> resources to perform such confirmations.

You (I don't mean necessarily you personally) are still making a decision
based on your lack of resources to determine if something is up to date. Is
not that they are not up to date, it's that you don't know if they are (and
you know that you don't know, since you are acknowledging it). But you are
still willing to not list them.

Since people are putting a lot of effort into maintaining that work, by
ignoring that (due to lack of resources) you are contributing to that
compound effect I was describing. They are doing this for the community,
but the community seems to ignore them.

I think it's more fair to acknowledge those efforts, to let people list
what they think is useful for them.

If the problem is understanding if those methods still work, perhaps what
we need is a mechanism to keep track of installation methods available and
the last time they were verified. That detailed info can be used to keep
the page up to date.

Ivan