[Haskell-cafe] Comment on "The Historical Futurism of Haskell" by Andrew Boardman

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sun Sep 12 08:24:36 UTC 2021

On Sun, 12 Sep 2021, Dominik Schrempf wrote:

> I work with Markov chains (yes, I had to write my own MCMC library in
> order to run proper Markov chains),

I don't know what proper Markov chains are, at least I wrote my own simple
lazy Markov chain generator years ago that fulfilled my needs:
    https://hackage.haskell.org/package/markov-chain

I have also written a package for Hidden Markov models:
    https://hackage.haskell.org/package/hmm-lapack

> I need to plot my data (there is no superb standard plotting library
> available in Haskell). By now, I do maintain library packages providing
> answers to some of these problems, but it was (and is) a lot of work.

If you write packages that fulfill the needs of your applications, that's
certainly better than writing impressive frameworks where no one knows
whether it is usable, at all. :-)