[Haskell-cafe] Comment on "The Historical Futurism of Haskell" by Andrew Boardman

Tikhon Jelvis tikhon at jelv.is
Sun Sep 12 06:32:17 UTC 2021

Let me second this. I've worked on a few different supply chain problems
over the last five years and Haskell *as a language* would have been
perfect—if it only had more libraries. I did do some work in Haskell (which
was great), but it just didn't make sense in other areas :/.

Modeling problems have a combination of mathematical and domain-specific
complexity that lets Haskell's types and expressiveness really shine.
Functional programming is a natural fit for this area; most of the
Numpy/Python code I see at work sticks to immutable operations. It would
not be much of an exaggeration to call Pandas a purely functional DSL
embedded in Python. I taught Haskell to one of my colleagues with a PhD in
operations research, and he said it was the first time a programming
language matched how he thought about his work.

Tooling wouldn't necessarily be a bottleneck either. I still believe that
friendly and stable tooling is important, but the state of Python
tooling—somehow less consistent and more confusing than Haskell's
tools—shows that people will work around tooling issues if everything else
falls into place. Missing foundational libraries? Not so much.