[Haskell-cafe] Public floggings

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 13:55:16 UTC 2021

>> Aside: to this day, that sort of ad-hoc syntax makes me gag. K&R should be
> publicly flogged on a regular basis.

Since I'm to blame for raising the subject that turned into a thread
about "the right exposition", I hereby surrender myself to be flogged
in lieu of the intended. I've deserved it for years, just for how I've
found perversely delightful ways to use the C preprocessor. Especially
token-pasting.

K&R (the book) was almost indecent exposure -- it left nothing to the
imagination. As opposed to most writing on Haskell, where I'm
befuddled because it's not at all obvious how it does its thing. It's
like you're not /supposed/ to know. But K&R let it all hang out, and
for that reason, I loved it. Whip me, beat me, make me write C code.
Because that's just the kind of pervert I am. Still, sometimes.

Regards,
Michael Turner
Executive Director
Project Persephone
1-25-33 Takadanobaba
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 169-0075
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
turner at projectpersephone.org

Understand - http://www.projectpersephone.org/
Join - http://www.facebook.com/groups/ProjectPersephone/
Donate - http://www.patreon.com/ProjectPersephone
Volunteer - https://github.com/ProjectPersephone

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry