[Haskell-cafe] haskell-ci problems

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 13:02:58 UTC 2021

Am Sa., 13. Nov. 2021 um 13:27 Uhr schrieb Mikolaj Konarski <
mikolaj at well-typed.com>:

> Not sure about this particular error, but haskell-ci does not yet seem
> fully updated to the travis/GHA switch and Ubuntu repo/gchup switch.

My point is: I don't care about how the workflow gets the tools and
compilers, I was just hoping to have a simple way to generate a workflow
from a .cabal file. :-( Currently I am too busy with other things that I
can't dive into the details of GitHub Actions, haskell-ci, etc., I can just
offer testing haskell-ci patches etc.

The project I used as a trial balloon for haskell-ci is really dead simple,
how are other projects handling this? It must be an extremely common use
case, and I doubt that everybody writes the workflows by hand: This would
be silly, basically all needed information is already in the .cabal file.

Other projects like e.g. lens seem to use haskell-ci successfully, see
https://github.com/ekmett/lens/blob/master/.github/workflows/haskell-ci.yml.
But that YAML file looks quite a bit different from what haskell-ci has
generated for my project. Why?

> In particular, there is no Ubuntu package for GHC 9.2.1 that you are
> requesting and there may never be.

That's totally OK, the workflow seems to reference hvr's PPA. And as I
said: Even when I remove 9.2.1, I get the exact same error again for 9.0.1.

> I'd advise to use ghcup instead. There are at least some examples about
> that in haskell-ci repo (IIRC,
> at least the haskell-ci CI job itself), even if the script is not up to
> the task. Contributions welcome.

Personally I use stack exclusively, totally ignoring cabal and ghcup. But
that should be fine as long as the workflow is doing whatever it needs to
do with those tools.

As usual, the Haskell tool ecosystem is giving me a hard time... :ยด-(

Cheers,
   S.