[Haskell-cafe] Global Package Install

Fendor power.walross at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 20:04:02 UTC 2021

Since I am helping with a university course myself at the moment, I want
to add that the work-around
described in the second linked cabal issue (#6515), namely setting
`store-dir` and `remote-repo-cache` to a global read-only location,
works very well in practice.
In my opinion, it achieves its goals easily:

* Reduce storage (everyone uses the same index and packages)
* Easy to synchronize (you can install additional versions for all students)
* Easy to maintain (new semester? Just remove the store folder and build
every package anew)

And for the easier `ghci` workflow, a generated ghci environment file is
also really handy and easy to upgrade/change.

Best regards,
Fendor