[Haskell-cafe] Global Package Install

David Duke duke.j.david at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 18:13:54 UTC 2021

> .. a few people mention that they prefer the
> "global package database" style.  I'd like to improve my understanding
> of why people prefer that style.

I had/have a strong preference for the global package database.

a) teaching. no longer relevant but when it was beyond the points already
raised:
- simplified helping students when we were clearly using the same codebase
- assessment: easier to set and advise when you know exactly what
libraries/versions the class  will be using. It was also easier to set up
by passing
code requirements to support staff before term. they would ensure tools
and a list of required libraries were installed.

b) research,
- I often found it helpful to move between ghci and my program text,
testing ideas or checking types in ghci then copying and pasting into the
file
-   ghc-pkg plus the Haskell doc provided a usable and helpful foundation
for
work

c) I saw no reason to try an alternative version of working nor any
evidence
that one would make my life any easier

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 5:58 PM Johannes Waldmann <
johannes.waldmann at htwk-leipzig.de> wrote:

> > .. a few people mention that they prefer the
> > "global package database" style.  I'd like to improve my understanding
> > of why people prefer that style.
>
> Teaching.
>
> Reduce storage, and save students the extra work and distraction.
> https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/7172
>
> same question, with discussion of
> possible work-around with "shared local" database:
> https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/6515
>
> I will need this in two week's time ..
>
> - J.W.

David Duke
Emeritus Professor of Computer Science
School of Computing University of Leeds UK
E:duke.j.david at gmail.com
W:https://engineering.leeds.ac.uk/staff/334/Professor_David_Duke