[Haskell-cafe] shorter error messages

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Wed Mar 17 12:08:50 UTC 2021

Am 16.03.21 um 19:07 schrieb Richard Eisenberg:
> There is no "official" way to accommodate this reasonable request.
> The ideas up-thread are good ones.

Thanks everyone for the many suggestions. I am using cabal to build. Vim
and emacs and IDEs are not in my toolbox for various reasons. Of course
I can do shell hacking to filter the messages, just wanted to ask if
there is a more convenient way.

> I want to pipe in that we're currently going through an internal
> overhaul of error-message handling that will make such a request
> much easier to contemplate in the future. This is active work going
> on right now. So there is hope, possibly for 9.4. Of course, once
> the internal overhaul is done, we'll need to design any features
> that actually change the output -- the overhaul just makes it easy
> to implement such features (which would be very difficult at the
> moment).

Looking forward to that! It seems I am not the only one who would,
occasionally, prefer to get error messages in a more condensed form.

Cheers
Ben