[Haskell-cafe] shorter error messages

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Tue Mar 16 18:07:41 UTC 2021

There is no "official" way to accommodate this reasonable request. The ideas up-thread are good ones.

I want to pipe in that we're currently going through an internal overhaul of error-message handling that will make such a request much easier to contemplate in the future. This is active work going on right now. So there is hope, possibly for 9.4. Of course, once the internal overhaul is done, we'll need to design any features that actually change the output -- the overhaul just makes it easy to implement such features (which would be very difficult at the moment).

Richard