[Haskell-cafe] Package Takeover: `toml`

Emily Pillmore emilypi at cohomolo.gy
Fri Mar 12 06:28:44 UTC 2021

Tom,

Look, I don't want to debate syntax and semantics here, but "burning need/desire/ambition" etc ( https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/burning+desire ) is an extremely common colloquialism that doesn't imply an emergency, just a strongly felt urge.  I can't apologize for my wording, but I'm sorry for the situation nonetheless.

> It's now seeming more just like a desire for the package name.

I'm going to look at `toml-parser` in the meantime, but no toml library does what I have in mind (namely a full fledged implementation of the spec, streaming, deriving etc.), nor do many of them provide bidirectional serialization save `tomland`. To reiterate Carter's point, hackage names are a community resource, and they deserve to be thought through carefully, so yes, the package name is part of the request. I do alot of community service to make sure things that take up precious Hackage real-estate are treated well, which is why `toml` posed an opportunity.

To that point, anything you put out is something I am interested in investing time and effort into making a standard. Do you have any code currently, or is this a TODO on your list? Going through your hackage libraries, I see no source repository listings, issue trackers, or even an email to reach you by.

- E