[Haskell-cafe] Deprecation being transitively reported for re-exported definitions

Oleg Grenrus oleg.grenrus at iki.fi
Sun Aug 15 02:52:47 UTC 2021

I think the confusion stems from what the deprecation of the module
means, i.e.

    module A {-# DEPRECATED "This module will be hidden in future
versions". #-} ( ... ) where

I think it does two things:

1. deprecates the module A, so if it's  imported anywhere, the
deprecation warning will be reported
2. deprecates all symbols defined in the module, so the use-sites are
reported as well. (This is like deprecating an individual binding, {-#
DEPRECATED symbolInA "..." #-}.

The second point is why re-exporting names defined in A still causes the
warning. The thing is deprecated, it doesn't matter how you import it.
However, if A re-exports some other symbols (e.g. from A.Internal),
these things are not deprecated, and thus no warnings.

This explains why a workaround you mention works. Or we could even argue
that the (first) workaround is not even a workaround, but the right way
to do what you want.

Defining new binding is not the same as re-exporting. There is a bit
discussion about it in [1], e.g. users can define different RULES for
the thing "renamed" in B.

There is an interesting challenge in [1] too:

>  the proposal would be stronger if it explicitly explained that much
of what is proposed [renaming on import] could be done with existing
mechanisms [like writing new definitions, type, etc.]

For your use case (in second workaround) you'll rely that redefinition
(as "heavy" renaming) will strip the deprecation bit. But we can argue
that it's still a renaming, so it should not! :)

[1]:
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/408#issuecomment-806064864

- Oleg