[Haskell-cafe] Organizing your code files

Johannes Waldmann johannes.waldmann at htwk-leipzig.de
Tue Aug 10 14:32:27 UTC 2021

Hécate:

>  * Type variables are made explicit, and as such I annotate even the
>    simplest of them (with `:: Type`)

This! I am moving towards that style.
Especially in teaching (type abstraction, type application)
where I want everything to be very much explicit -
before discussing abbreviations and omissions (type inference).

With current GHC, this is entirely possible but looks somewhat clumsy

{-# language ExplicitForall, KindSignatures #-}
import Data.Kind (Type)
g :: forall (t :: Type) . t -> t ; g x = x

{-# language TypeApplications #-}  g @N Z

yes I could hide these pragmas somewhere but that again feels wrong.

But - good thing: after
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/ghc2021/proposals/0000-ghc2021.rst

(I understand that GHC2021 is default-enabled in GHC-9.2)
we no longer need to write these pragmas. Yay!
Sadly, we still need the import.

- J.

NB: Haskell's implicit declaration of type variables
by their starting with lowercase letters
always reminds me of Fortran's implicit type specification
for variables, going by the first letter (I .. N means integer).
Fortran has "implicit none" though, so let's have "t :: Type"...