[Haskell-cafe] Safe Haskell?

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 20:27:20 UTC 2021

Am Mo., 26. Apr. 2021 um 20:02 Uhr schrieb Tom Ellis <
tom-lists-haskell-cafe-2017 at jaguarpaw.co.uk>:

> [...] The point of contention for me (and I would guess for others too) is
> whether meagre resources at our disposal should be put towards
> SafeHaskell and other Haskell-based language checkers, or we should
> just use what the (comparatively) large and experienced Linux, *BSD,
> etc.. developers are already providing and many users are already
> using for hardening efforts.

I think my POV is clear by now. ;-) The current Haskell ecosystem is a bit
obscure: There is already a GHC 9.2 alpha, while stack has just an alpha
supporting 9.0, and Stackage & Haskell Language Server are still stuck at
8.10.4, so effectively only GHC <= 8.10.4 is usable for quite a few people,
I guess. Setting up an up-to-date Haskell development environment is still
a difficult process, involving various non-trivial and only lightly
documented steps (Example: Given a fully working Spacemacs, but no Haskell
SW at all: Try to set up your system for a stack-based workflow with
GHC-9.0, including a formatter/linter/code completion/...) . In the
meantime, people are discussing more and more esoteric type system
extensions for the next GHC release and the advantages of relatively niche
features like SafeHaskell. I'm totally aware of the fact that there are
different people working on the different parts, nevertheless the overall
emphasis is a bit... strange. :-/