[Haskell-cafe] Readable Haskell

Jeffrey Brown jeffbrown.the at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 22:06:18 UTC 2020

One's capacity to write (and then be able to read) lots of little functions
is greatly helped by a tool that lets you jump to the definition of a term.
Emacs + hasktags, for instance.

In addition to names, moving as much logic from possible into the types is
helpful. You're liable to update a function and leave a stale comment; not
so its type signature. With good types and names, I find that almost the
only things I need to comment are surprises, pitfalls, gotchas. (And with
dependent types I'm sure I'd need fewer of those.)

Time spent rewriting with no other goal in mind is, if you're going to keep
coming back to the code, generally time well spent. Anything that confuses
you when you revisit code deserves at the least a comment, if not rewriting
the code itself.

Naming *should* be hard. A good name defines for a human in a few words
what takes a paragraph to define for the computer. It almost requires a
different mindset, a second level of awareness -- less how, more what and
why.

Jeff Brown | Jeffrey Benjamin Brown
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffreybenjaminbrown>   |   Github
<https://github.com/jeffreybenjaminbrown>   |   Twitter