[Haskell-cafe] ghcxxxx.exe in Local\Temp in Windows

Sumit Raja sumitraja at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 01:53:32 UTC 2020

Hi,

Running ghc 8.8.4 + cabal 3.2 on Windows. M365 malware scanner identified
that ghcbdbc.exe in my temp directory was the Wacatac malware. I checked
and there is a large number of these ghcxxxx.exe files in there. They look
like build artefacts from cabal repl. The malware scanner process tree is
cabal -> gcc -> realgcc -> collect2 with ld.exe being the exec that created
it.

Admin is confident that Wacatac was removed or it was a false alarm but I
need to provide some details on why this build artefact is created. Anyone
know what these files are?

Thanks
Sumit