[Haskell-cafe] Consider adding recoverability to the vocabulary of parser combinators

Compl Yue compl.yue at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 13:37:11 UTC 2020

Hi Li-yao,

I appreciate your help especially the PR as a working fix.

But personally I don't like the overall method of your solution, I can see
Monad Transformers are powerful enough to tackle similar problems, but I'm
not satisfied by the ergonomics in composing monads with transformers.
`ParsecT` had already caused me much pain to get started in the beginning,
and I'm still not fluent (comfortable) in transforming monads, especially
I'm afraid I will have to transform much of the standard combinator
functions, in order to get the real case parser working, as its resulting
AST is much more complex.

I still have faith in the improvement of megaparsec as a well known parser
combinator library (I regard it as the best for engineering needs among
other libraries), and I must admit megaparsec already elegantly works 99%
out of my current use cases, and the very issue we are talking about  is a
nice-to-have rather than must-to-have, so I would think we still have time
to anticipate more options to come out.

And I particularly like to see parser combinators have this issue addressed
in its own design space.

Thanks again with best regards,
Compl