[Haskell-cafe] Consider adding recoverability to the vocabulary of parser combinators

Li-yao Xia lysxia at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 12:19:52 UTC 2020

Hi Compl,

At least, for the example you gave on this list, it can be fixed by
returning Nothing instead of using the facility for failure baked into
(mega)parsec. (Proposed diff for reference:
https://github.com/complyue/dcp/pull/3)

"Returning Nothing" can be seen as adding a new channel for errors,
turning the Parser monad into `MaybeT Parser`. Then `return Nothing` is
how `empty` is defined by `MaybeT`, allowing that error to be caught and
recovered from at the point where it was thrown, no backtracking. (And
the original failure mode of Parser becomes `lift empty`.)

Does that address your problem?

Cheers,
Li-yao