[Haskell-cafe] Reading Haddock sources on hackage no longer possible with simple browsers?

Sebastiaan Joosten sjcjoosten+haskell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 00:12:38 UTC 2020

I'm all for accessibility-first, but Oleg's solution won't help. Here's a
test page for some features that are frequently discussed in this context:
https://sjcjoosten.nl/tmp/test.html

Opening this in a browser shows the following content:

This content is perceivable by all browsers but should not be copiable by
most.

The standard says this content should not be perceivable by screen readers.

This content is rendered via JavaScript and is not perceivable for those
without JavaScript
Here's what Lynx users see (line-wraps are due to the width of my terminal):
   This content is perceivable by all browsers but should not be copiable
   by most.

   The standard says this content should not be perceivable by screen
   readers.

   The standard says this content is not perceivable, following the HTML
   hidden tag.

   The standard says this content is not perceivable, using CSS.

There are separate issues that passed this thread:
- on Lynx, some things that are tooltips are displayed inline, they should
not be displayed at all
- using select+copy, some things are selected and copied (when I tried this
in Chrome, this only happens if I copy while my mouse is over the Show/Eq
element)
There is actually a third use-case to consider, namely brower+screenreader
combinations. Using apple's screen reader with Safari simply reads the
'should not be perceivable' line to me as well.

Johannes created an issue for this here:
https://github.com/haskell/haddock/issues/1250
I'll put my suggestions on how to fix this there.

Best,

Sebastiaan