[Haskell-cafe] Windows Haskell CI

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Wed May 6 13:40:15 UTC 2020

Hi Everyone

thanks for you input; I'll certainly take a look at your various solutions.

Hi Ganesh

Am 04.05.20 um 20:53 schrieb Ganesh Sittampalam:
> On 29/04/2020 23:20, Ben Franksen wrote:
>> Indeed, developing on Windows is something we'd very much like to avoid.
>
> As another darcs developer, I'm ambivalent about it. Windows certainly
> has its pain points but it's the native OS on my primary machine and
> developing in that OS rather than inside a VM does make many things
> simpler. But it's pretty clear no-one else wants to get too close :-)

Sorry, I should have been speaking only for myself. My goal is to have a
way to build and run the tests on Windows without being bogged down with
Windows intricacies.

I think that indeed Appveyor may serve this purpose. We'll have to
create a small git repo with the configuration and a small number of
scripts ("batch files"?) to manage the darcs side of things, like
cloning our repo(s). I know of at least on example where it was done in
this way.

>> But what we definitely need is to be able to run our test suite on
>> Windows; and a significant part of that are a couple hundred bash
>> scripts. If your approach could handle that, I'd be interested to know more.
>
> Given how slow bash scripts are on Windows, another strategy would be to
> simply rewrite them in something else, e.g. something we can directly
> interpret in Haskell. But whatever it is would still require running
> compiled code on Windows somehow.

You must be aware that we currently have 380 bash scripts. Rewriting
them all cannot be described with the word "simply", even if such a
translation were simple for a single script, which I doubt very much it is.

We should probably continue to discuss this on darcs-devel.

Cheers
Ben