[Haskell-cafe] Windows Haskell CI

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Mon May 4 18:53:12 UTC 2020

On 29/04/2020 23:20, Ben Franksen wrote:

>> It doesn't help for people who want to develop _on_ windows, but at
>> least releasing _for_ windows is prettty painless this way.
>
> Indeed, developing on Windows is something we'd very much like to avoid.

As another darcs developer, I'm ambivalent about it. Windows certainly
has its pain points but it's the native OS on my primary machine and
developing in that OS rather than inside a VM does make many things
simpler. But it's pretty clear no-one else wants to get too close :-)

> But what we definitely need is to be able to run our test suite on
> Windows; and a significant part of that are a couple hundred bash
> scripts. If your approach could handle that, I'd be interested to know more.

Given how slow bash scripts are on Windows, another strategy would be to
simply rewrite them in something else, e.g. something we can directly
interpret in Haskell. But whatever it is would still require running
compiled code on Windows somehow.

Cheers,

Ganesh