[Haskell-cafe] Is there a handy refl or refl generator for converting GADT types?

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Sun Jun 28 10:51:05 UTC 2020

I think the general answer to your question is: no, you can't avoid this pattern match. In your particular case, the domain (Global Renamed) is a subset of the range (Global Generated), and so we can imagine a function that just changes the type without any fuss. This would, I'm pretty sure, be safe. But GHC has no notion of this kind of one-way transformation, so you're stuck just doing it via a manual pattern-match.

I hope this helps!
Richard