[Haskell-cafe] database programming with Haskell

Debasish Ghosh ghosh.debasish at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 17:59:50 UTC 2020

Hello -

I am looking for some good practices on how to design database access APIs
in applications using Haskell. I have been going through various
libraries like persistent, Esqueleto etc. All of them have nice APIs.
However I am looking for practices around designing APIs that also offer
testability without plugging in a concrete database engine. Like the one we
can design using tagless final approaches where we can switch out the
Database monad with some mocked one (maybe that uses some hashmap instead
of a real database) for unit tests.

Is there any recommended practice on this or may be some sample application
that's designed around these practices ? Or is this at all a recommended
practice in Haskell ?

regards.

--
Debasish Ghosh