[Haskell-cafe] [Job] Hackworth are hiring a Haskell developer, full time, on-site in London

Drew Hess ml-haskell-cafe at drewhess.com
Tue Feb 11 09:11:13 UTC 2020

[Hi Haskellers! Apologies if you’ve already seen this on Reddit or Hacker News.]

Hackworth are hiring a full-time Haskell developer in London. This is an on-site role, at our office in Shoreditch.

Salary range: £70,000-£80,000 per year

In this role, you'll help lead the research phase of our first product: a programming language optimized for learning to program, rooted in functional programming concepts, with a particular focus on the visualization of program execution. You'll be responsible for designing several prototype languages, exploring the programming language and computer education research literature for ideas, and explaining these designs and their trade-offs to your colleagues.

Once the research phase concludes, you'll help lead the development phase of the product, the result of which will be a novel interactive programming environment for children. We're targeting the end of 2021 for initial beta testing with schools and external organizations.

We expect to open-source the product at some point during the development phase. You'll have the option of leading that open source effort, if you wish.

This role does not include any on-call, devops, or customer support requirements. You'll be focused exclusively on writing Haskell and creating an innovative programming environment for kids.

For more information, please see the full job posting on our website: https://www.hackworthltd.uk/jobs/20200204/.

## Tech

Our software stack is entirely Haskell and Nix. We use macOS on the desktop, and NixOS and AWS everywhere else. If you prefer Linux on your desktop, we can probably arrange that.

## About us

Hackworth Ltd is a well-financed, bootstrapped, private limited company based in London. Our purpose is to make programming relevant to the interests of children of all backgrounds.

We're committed to building a sustainable, ethical, socially responsible business. We serve children and schools; therefore, we’ll never fund our business by selling ad placements or exploiting compulsion loops via loot boxes or micro-transactions. See here for more: https://www.hackworthltd.uk/about/

## Applying

To apply for this role, you should meet the following requirements:

* The equivalent of (approximately) 2 years' experience writing Haskell, in either an industrial or research setting. It need not have been all at one organization, nor one contiguous block of time.

* You can be on-site at our London office at least 4 days per week.

* You're eligible to work in the United Kingdom.

If you're familiar with any of the following topics, that's a definite plus, and you should mention it in your application; but please note that these are not required for the role:

* Dependent types

* Gradual typing

* Refinement types

* Total functional programming

* Program synthesis

* Structured editing a la Hazel or similar

* Block-based programming (e.g., Scratch)

* Virtual machines designed for functional languages, e.g., Landin's SECD.

## To apply

To apply for this role, please submit a resume/CV to careers at hackworthltd.com. Even if you’re unsure about your fit, or if you have any additional questions about the role, or about working at Hackworth in general, please get in touch!

Hackworth are committed to diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and do not discriminate on the grounds of gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, gender reassignment, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, disability or age.