[Haskell-cafe] sharing

Tom Schouten tom at zwizwa.be
Wed Feb 5 13:59:58 UTC 2020

On 2/5/20 8:17 AM, Carter Schonwald wrote:
> Applicative do notation ?

Probably not. See below.

> Doesn’t recent ghc also have source plugins ? I’m admittedly
> unfamiliar with those ?
>
> Have you looked at how stuff like the ivory/tower edsl libraries do
> their embedding?

I'm unaware of these. Thanks for the pointer.

> Do you have enough examples for them to treat getting started as a
> “use your cookbook” and then go from there ?

Haskell is already a stretch. Doing things like this:

a <- (b `and`) =<< not c

Is just never going to work.

Keeping it in ANF:

nc <- not c

a <- b `and` nc

Is easier to explain, but it is very hard to justify why you can only
put the result of a single operation in a variable, and why sometimes it
is "let" and other times it is that arrow.

Basically I'm asking people to give up expressions while they work just
fine in C or Verilog. It's a step down. I really don't blame them.