[Haskell-cafe] Compilers written in Haskell that generate assembly

Matthew Farkas-Dyck strake888 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 08:02:31 UTC 2020

On 12/14/20, Vanessa McHale <vamchale at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have any of you written compilers or backends that generate assembly?
> Lots of projects seem to "end" at LLVM.

It's very rough work yet, but a low-level backend IR has been a
ongoing project of mine for a while now:
https://github.com/strake/esil.hs

I am designing a programming language, but LLVM was unfit for my
purposes as i need both dynamically-sized stack-allocated values and
arbitrary control flow.

> I have a project (https://hackage.haskell.org/package/kempe) where I
> used something like maximal munch and a linear register allocator, but I
> was wondering if there was anything more sophisticated out there!

I also have a graph-coloring register allocator:
https://hub.darcs.net/strake/reg-alloc-graph-color.hs

Unfortunately the docs just now are poor, at best. If this seems
potentially useful to you, let me know, so i can prioritize that!

(Esil uses the register allocator, but thru another interface which is
a compiler framework of mine.)