[Haskell-cafe] heres a replacement CI template using gh actions: Psa : perhaps time for maintainers to start migrating off Travis ci

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sun Dec 13 22:52:20 UTC 2020

Not wanting to dishearten you, but Github *was* acquired by Microsoft,
and that company has changed policy more often than I have appendages to
count.
Which means that replacing a Travis workflow with a Github workflow
isn't improving anything, it's merely another station on the CI
caravan's route.

Gitlab *is* publishing large parts of their server-side code. Set up a
local test installation, make sure that CI automation runs there, then
migrate to Gitlab - that's the strategy I'd choose, YMMV.

Gitlab may become FOSS-unfriendly over time just like any other
commercial entity, but their barrier is significantly higher: The will
loser more users and faster if they try anything funny with their
policy, because then people will just run their own servers. Their
current policy is a bit of a "we promise to remain FOSS-friendly,
because, see? - we're locking ourselves in your corner" plot, and of
course me advertising this is exactly what they want to achieve :-)

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT affiliated with Gitlab in any way.
Or with any other commercial entity offering services to the open-source
community.

Regards,
Jo