[Haskell-cafe] Do something about Cabal?

Alberto G. Corona agocorona at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 10:35:37 UTC 2020

I played some time ago with a "brute force" building tool which starts only
from the includes of the main source file. It tried to find the packages
for these modules using the google search service to search in Hackage,
download the package sources from Hackage and added the packages  as
options to the ghc -ipackage1 ipackage2   command line, recursively. If
some error happened I tried with the files of an older version for the
package that produced the error, by parsing the GHC errors. It failed at
some C import libraries but at this moment it can be switched to build in
cabal or stack mode for that package/module.

I write this just in case this gives some ideas to someone to go along
these lines.

Much of that is what Cabal does anyway, but constrained by the limits
imposed by the *.cabal files in the packages. But the machinery is there
Perhaps Cabal could have a --bruteforce  option?

Alberto.