[Haskell-cafe] [HF-discuss] Do something about Cabal?

Oliver Charles ollie at ocharles.org.uk
Fri Dec 11 10:17:23 UTC 2020

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020, at 10:07 AM, Bardur Arantsson wrote:
> On 11/12/2020 10.56, Oliver Charles wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Dec 2020, at 9:50 AM, Bardur Arantsson wrote:
> >> (Dhall could work here since you can at least do inclusions and reuse in
> >> a generic way. Plus it has fully defined semantics plus implementations
> >> in at least a couple of langauges, Haskell and Scala.)
> >
> > Psst https://hackage.haskell.org/package/dhall-to-cabal
> > <https://hackage.haskell.org/package/dhall-to-cabal> :)
> >

> Yes, thank for pointing that out :). I think I actually tried it at one
> point, but it was way to immature at the time... must have slipped my
> mind since then.
>
> IIRC my major problem at the time I tried it, it was also *really* slow.
> I mean "minutes" rather than "seconds" slow.
>
> I think that may have been due to performance problems in the Haskell
> implementation of Dhall, so hopefully it's not an issue these days.

Yes, it was due to performance problems with Dhall itself. This project actually helped act as a benchmark for us to improve Dhall. I think things should be much better now. I have unfortunately all-but-abandoned the project because there are no users, including myself. But it's still there and I think there's still a lot of useful work there.