[Haskell-cafe] Enable -Wall by default?

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 02:23:34 UTC 2020

Yeah, I think you're missing something. -Wall is great for checking code
that's supposed to be "production ready", but it makes some pretty annoying
noise when you're deep in development. Probably the most annoying in that
context are unused binding warnings (yeah, I'm not using it yet because I'm
still writing it and/or other helpers), unused variable warnings (yeah,
that'll be used in some case I still need to write), and unused imports
(yeah, I've temporarily commented out the code that uses Foo, and I'm
pretty sure I'll be needing Bar before I'm done). In that setting, I'm much
more likely to want -Wincomplete-patterns (what do I still need to write)
and maybe -Wname-shadowing (so I won't have to go back and change a bunch
of names later) than full -Wall.