[Haskell-cafe] Enable -Wall by default?

Fumiaki Kinoshita fumiexcel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 02:06:27 UTC 2020

I mean literally. An article [0] reminded me of the fact that I enable
-Wall in 99% of time -- and most packages I use have it enabled too.
It's well known that -Wall doesn't enable* all *warnings, but a subset of
warnings that

* are well accepted by the community
* rarely produce false positives

Well, they look like good reasons to enable the warnings by default. Same
goes for -Wcompat, except that it is not as popular as -Wall. Seeing
potential problems when compiling code is far less of a pain than leaving
breakages unnoticed.

Am I missing some obvious reason not to do this?

[0] https://www.snoyman.com/blog/2020/12/haskell-bad-parts-3