[Haskell-cafe] What features should an (fictitious) IDE for Haskell have?

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Wed Dec 2 09:08:40 UTC 2020

On 01/12/2020 22.59, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Am 01.12.20 um 17:22 schrieb Tony Zorman:
>> The second part is more of a "why has no-one packaged this for
>> Debian/Ubuntu derivatives" (which I'm not sure is true anymore, but I
>> don't use either so I can't check) shortcoming than a Haskell LSP
>> shortcoming, don't you think?
>
> I have switched to installing all IDEs to ~/bin/, and the experience has
> become _much_ less painful - I couldn't care less about an Eclipse or
> IntelliJ package.

Absolutely agreed from many many years of experience. It almost always
ends up being less painful to just use the upstream's binary bundle (For
the reasons you stated.)... but perhaps I've been spoiled by the
(relative) good quality of Intellij IDEA's bundles.

> For things like Perl and Python, things can be even worse because these
> packages are geared towards running the distro, not towards developing
> software with them.

Same thing applies for Haskell on Arch Linux, for example.

Regards,