[Haskell-cafe] What features should an (fictitious) IDE for Haskell have?

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Tue Dec 1 21:59:52 UTC 2020

Am 01.12.20 um 17:22 schrieb Tony Zorman:
> The second part is more of a "why has no-one packaged this for
> Debian/Ubuntu derivatives" (which I'm not sure is true anymore, but I
> don't use either so I can't check) shortcoming than a Haskell LSP
> shortcoming, don't you think?

Actually I have stopped using prepackaged development environments on
the Debian-based distros I have been using.

The thing is plugins. As soon as you need a plugin that isn't packages,
you're starting to use a mixture of distro-provided IDE + standard
plugins plus your own plugins. The experience tends to be "interesting"
or "hell" depending on personal perspective, but at the end of the day,
the primary purpose of a packaged IDE should be using it, not tinkering
with it.

I have switched to installing all IDEs to ~/bin/, and the experience has
become _much_ less painful - I couldn't care less about an Eclipse or
IntelliJ package.

For things like Perl and Python, things can be even worse because these
packages are geared towards running the distro, not towards developing
software with them.
At least with Python, it's easy to set up in ~/bin/ or in a project
directory using virtualenv, so I'm not using those packages either.

(I'm not going to advocate using any of these environments on a Haskell
list, just showing experiences made with other languages ;-) )

Regards,
Jo