[Haskell-cafe] When did it become so hard to install Haskell onWindows?

Irfon-Kim Ahmad irfon at ambienautica.com
Mon Apr 27 15:10:29 UTC 2020

I think that one thing that's come up repeatedly but seems to not be
getting enough attention is this:

The existence of (any number of) simpler ways to install the software is
entirely moot in terms of the new-user experience if the typical new
user is unaware of them. In short, when considering attracting new users
to the platform, the ONLY method is whatever the download-for-Windows
instructions on haskell.org displays. All other methods do not exist.

This is where I think some of the sense of elitism can come from: A lot
of responses assume that everybody at every level of exposure has full
access to all the knowledge embodied in the community. Furthermore, the
goals as they were laid out early in the discussion (make it easy to
have multiple versions installed at the same time, make it easy to
update the components separately) are things that matter only to
experienced Haskell developers, not new users, and those experiences
Haskell developers are both more likely to know about alternate methods
available and more likely to be able to manage to figure this stuff out
on their own.

Given that, I believe basically the complaint (and I'm here paraphrasing
for others, so correct me if I'm wrong) is that the method that appears
front and centre on the download-for-Windows instructions on haskell.org
should always be the simplest method for entirely new users with
minimal-to-zero knowledge of Haskell to use. (Of course, there's no harm
in having a link to "advanced" instructions for those that want them.)

Think about Python, as an example of a language that has tremendous
outreach, is often recommended as a great first language to learn, and
garners new adherents daily. If you go to Python.org and mouse over
"Downloads", it says "Download for Windows" and there's a single button
labelled "Python 3.8.2" clicking that gives you an executable installer
that you run, click next a bunch of times, and you're done. They don't
even bother asking if you want 32 or 64 bit up-front. It's as easy as
installing a game. Anyone who's used Python knows that there are myriad
other ways of getting and updating it, myriad other components you can
also install, etc., etc. But that's left to advanced instructions or for
people who know where to find those resources. The core "get you started
as a new user" experience is something that anybody can navigate trivially.