[Haskell-cafe] When did it become so hard to install Haskell onWindows?

Gregory Guthrie guthrie at miu.edu
Sun Apr 26 00:44:01 UTC 2020

I (cautiously?!) agree – that it is good to avoid elitism – “only newbies use Windows (or an IDE)”, “get tough. Learn emacs…), etc.

                “because nobody, except juniors, is using Windows platform…”

Too bad; If we want it to propagate, accessibility and tools are a key element.

To deprecate 77% of market share, is not growth.

       " In the area of desktop and laptop computers, Microsoft Windows is generally above 70%

        in most markets and at 77% globally, Apple's macOS is at around 13%, Google's Chrome OS

        is at about 6% (in the US) and other Linux distributions are at around 2%"

When I try to use it in some classes, students are expecting an easy install and usage for the first time entry. Spoiled? Maybe, but still an important market segment.

:-)

Dr. Gregory Guthrie

Maharishi International University