[Haskell-cafe] When did it become so hard to install Haskell onWindows?

lonetiger at gmail.com lonetiger at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 08:59:01 UTC 2020

Hi Pedro,

I’m the maintainer of those chocolatey packages.

➢ First, I have to subscribe to a newsletter? Really? I guess this is entirely optional, but the instructions don't make it sound so.

Step 1 is completely optional and you don’t have to subscribe to any news letter.

➢ Then I have to know what powershell.exe is, use an administrative prompt, and enter scary commands in it.

Powershell has been the standard shell in Windows for well over the past decade. Every single script from Microsoft or third parties come with powershell for automation.
It’s understandable that you may not know it since your primary platform isn’t Windows. But it’s been included in every single Windows version for the past 13 years.

An administrative prompt is nothing different than running sudo or clicking on that installer that you *assumed* not to be scary because you didn’t see the actions it was performing.
That scary looking command is nothing but a curl command allowing the one time execution of a script from a remote source. As in a script that’s not physically on your machine.

So what exactly makes this scary? Is it because

Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope Process -Force; [System.Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = [System.Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol -bor 3072; iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1'))

Is more verbose than

curl -sSL https://path.to.some.script/ | sh

or because the technologies used while completely standard on Windows aren’t known to the casual user?

Thanks,
Tamar