[Haskell-cafe] LFVM-STG Compilation

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Fri May 10 02:56:56 UTC 2019

> On May 9, 2019, at 6:04 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In short, if you are still talking about Haskell, default-strict isn't an option. A strict Haskell-*like* language is an option, but it won't be Haskell; its idioms will be different and library compatibility will be dubious at best.

That's my take too.  Lazy by default pervades the language, and strict
by default simply is not Haskell.  There are some modules where I can
get away with and may benefit from "{-# LANGUAGE Strict #-}", but the
default must remain lazy.  Code I write implicitly depends on default
lazy behaviour, and rewriting it all is not an option.  At that point
I'd be using Rust or some other language...

--
	Viktor.