[Haskell-cafe] Informal modelling and simulation of protocols

Ian Denhardt ian at zenhack.net
Mon Mar 11 20:52:07 UTC 2019

Quoting P Orrifolius (2019-03-10 20:38:05)
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 at 23:11, Will Yager <will.yager at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > http://hackage.haskell.org/package/dejafu might do what you want
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, that does look useful.
> From a quick look at the documentation... am I right in thinking that
> this test framework only covers concurrency when you're directly using
> IOVars and STM?  Any concurrency that might involve other primitives,
> or IOVar/STM uses in libraries, wouldn't be testable?  Unless the
> primitives/library had also been written to use the dejafu io classes
> and monads of course... which might be a good idea in and of itself.

Yeah, if you have dependencies not written in terms of those type
classes, it may be difficult to integrate. If it's just your own code,
it shouldn't be too hard to go through and swap in the type class
constraints everywhere, but I do wish Haskell made it easier to wedge
an abstraction layer like that under existing libraries after the fact
:(.

-Ian