[Haskell-cafe] Patents on Maybe and Tuple

Henk-Jan van Tuyl hjgtuyl at chello.nl
Thu Jan 31 01:56:36 UTC 2019

L.S.,

I just read the article "Apple Patents Swift".[0] It says that Apple has
two patents regarding Swift: [1][2]; these patents state, amongst others,
that there are new types of variables:

"Additionally, an embodiment of the new language introduces advanced types
not found in Objective-C. These types include Tuples and Optionals. Tuples
enable a developer to create and pass groupings of values. Tuples group
multiple values into a single compound value."

and

"In one embodiment, an optional type is provided that handles the absence
of a value. Optionals are a way to say either “there is a value, and it
equals x” or “there isn't a value at all.”"

I hope we don't get arrested for using the Maybe monad or tuples in
Haskell.

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

[0]