[Haskell-cafe] ANN: LeanCheck v0.9.0 -- enumerative property testing

Rudy Matela rudy at matela.com.br
Fri Jan 18 00:24:02 UTC 2019

Hi Arian,

When in doubt and with a bit of time to spare, you can always use both :-)

But here is some quick list of pros and cons:

* LeanCheck/enumerative guarantees the smallest/simplest counterexample if
  one is found.  This without the need of shrinking.

* LeanCheck/enumerative allows for existential properties.

* LeanCheck/enumerative guarantees that tests aren't repeated most of the
  time.

* QuickCheck/random always hits different test cases, so in the long run
  you may get more test coverage.  With LeanCheck you only get more
  coverage when you configure more tests.

* LeanCheck/enumerative is more memory intensive when compared to
  QuickCheck/random.  With LeanCheck you may run out of memory when you're
  running tens of millions of tests.

You can find more details here:

https://github.com/rudymatela/leancheck/blob/master/doc/faq.md#what-are-the-differences-between-quickcheck-and-leancheck