[Haskell-cafe] segfault depending on code position in source file

Damien Mattei damien.mattei at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 14:09:11 UTC 2019

it's not me that say first ghc can have bug. There is a misunderstanding, i
first thought that if there was a problem it was not the core ghc
interpreter/compiler (note that i never try to compile with ghc, possible
the behavior is different in interpreter than in compile mode) but i had a
lot of doubt about the stability of the mysql* packages.

BUT i just made more test with the same mysql* package (version is the
latest,just installed with cabal) on another system this time 32bits:
[mattei at asteroide ~]$ uname -a
Linux asteroide 3.10.0-862.3.3.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jun 15 04:15:27 UTC
2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[mattei at asteroide ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804 (Core)
[mattei at asteroide ~]$ ghci
GHCi, version 8.4.3: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help

ghci version 8.4.3

and the program works fine, this does not means that the ghci v8.2 have
bugs nor the mysql* packages , just means that there is some
incompatibilies between ghc 8.2 and the latest versions of mysql* packages
(mysql-simple-0.4.5)

i think there is something that can be enhanced in the cabal or the package
installion script of mysql* packages to detect those incompatibilities but
i do not know how, perheaps if with cabal and ghc 8.2 i had installed an
earlier verison of mysql* it could have worked without problem.

Damien